Meet My Friend, Strategic Planning
Written by Jana Beals, December 2020
context for everyone. We are going to take a brief look at steps in a
business strategy process, and then insert actions you already take.
You’ll see how you are already strategically planning, and probably
doing a bang-up job of it!
1. Defining the mission/vision/values
2. Forming business hypothesis and strategy
3. Mapped out strategy descriptions
4. Strategy alignment
5. Strategy execution
But what does that mean?
1. What is your mission, what do you see coming from your mission, and what do you value? Top-notch service at an affordable price.
2. Research; gather information, and map out the cause(s) and effect(s). If this, then that.
3. Put the research information into categories such as who (customers), what (service/product), and financial (what is the gain).
4. Create a hierarchy of who is going to carry out the mission, i.e. Top Managers, Supervisors, Mechanics.
5. Start the process rolling! Adjust as needed! Carry on!
Did you know you already do this?
Every time you go grocery shopping, buy or sell a car, or even have a garage sale, you are using these steps!
In the case of having a garage sale: you know your mission is to clear out the clutter but don’t want to sell broken items because that’s not right.
You then research the best days and times to hold a garage sale, and where to advertise that will reach the largest audience.
Next, you recruit your family to help out! Who’s in charge of the money box, who’s going to display items, who’s making the lunch run.
And then the day of your garage sale, the fun you have planned begins. The garage sale runs like clockwork because of your strategic planning! Bravo!